Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My first 1/4 Century ride

Tonight I ventured out into a new world. I decided to not run ( sorry RC ) but instead I laced up my bike shoes and went out for my first 25 miler. OMG I wished I would have done this sooner. I had sooooo much fun tonight. I will not lie and say it was easy because it was not. I can say it was just a great feeling to be back on a bike again.

I met up with Kenny and Stef at the Warner Robins bike store. There is a group of riders of all classifications that meet on Wed night and ride 25 miles. There is always someone to ride with the fastest person and one with the slowest person. No one gets left behind. I really liked that.

It was a challenge for me tonight. My legs were screaming, my muscles aching, sweat pouring off my head and then I put my other foot into the clip. Ha-Ha but really my body was put through the test. From my feet to my head and everything in between. My butt is so sore. I need some time in the saddle to get back used to it again.

I went 25.8 miles with an average speed of 15.28 mph and my fastest speed was 38.13 mph. The total time was 1 hour and 46 minutes. We had a couple of times that we stopped for a while. One rider feel down after being nearly attacked by a dog, we waited for Kenny while he helped others including me and just some times while we all gathered back together as a group.

Tonight was the first time I ever used clipless pedals. I was told to unclip a while before coming to a intersection and coast to a stop. I can say I was nervous about using them for the first time but I did good. I was nervous about riding tonight. I didn't want to mess up in front of a bunch of people that I have never meet before. I told Kenny that I did not know if I was more nervous tonight or when I ran my first marathon.

All in all I had a great time and I am so glad I went. I cant wait until I go again.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

I am proud of you for braving the clipless for the first time... in a group ride. Heck I fell down in my garage trying them out and I wasn't even trying to move forward.

Ready for a half a century now? LOL JK