Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Time to get ready

Well it looks like I am going for another marathon. Snickers in Albany on March 7th. I thought I was going to do the half but somethings have come up. I only have about 4 weeks to get ready. I wanted to do the half so that it would get me ready for Country Music but things change for reasons.

I know I will be able run the race but I don't know if I want to try a 3/1 or a 2/1 ratio. I wanted to try and get a new PR and beat my time from last year which was a 5:08. I am thinking now that I might be looking to much into beating a clock and not just having fun.

When I started running I thought it would be fun to win some trophies so that I would have something to put on the mantle. Well I am not going to lie. Yes they do look nice and bring back some great memories but nothing can change the memories I have from meeting friends from running. I need to step back and look at running when I did when I first started out. Running is fun. When I get out there, I am helping myself.

When I go to Snickers, somewhere deep down inside of me I will be shooting for a PR but if not I am going to have fun. When I ran this race last year, I hurt so bad afterwards. I did not want to run anymore. I thought I was finished. I do not want to go through that again. I want to finish and say "What's next". So many people get wrapped up in what people think about their finishing times and try to compare themselves to others. I am trying to get out of that atmosphere. I want to get back to the fun times of running.

See ya later and lets have fun. Remember we are all made differently.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the post. I think it is so common to get caught up in our performance, which for me leads to burn out. Remembering that running is fun keeps me going.
Best wishes with your training,
Cindy

Stefanie said...

You are going to do fantastic!

Kat said...

I liked your post Tim. There are always going to be people faster, but that certainly doesn't mean they are any better! Everyone is made different... I always tell myself I am my only competition. If I'm happy, that's all that matters! A PR is nice, simply put, it's YOUR PR, nobody elses!

Amy said...

Haven't we already had this conversation? But, I think at the time you were having the talk with me.

Take your own advice. Do your own thing. Find that niche that makes you (and only you) comfortable with your running. I am finally doing my own thing and loving every minute of it.

Remember you will always be in competition with yourself. When you beat yourself, you can quit. Until then, keep running!