Saturday, February 14, 2009

Running old school = New PR

Today was The Sweetheart 12K road race and it was going to start with a chance of rain in the forecast. Mid 50's at the start of the race with no breeze. I got my race packet while chatting with my ol running coach Ronald Sharpe and some of my other running friends from Macon Tracks Running Club. I placed my bib number on my running belt and looked down and OH NO!!!!!!!! I forgot my Garmin and my backup Ironman watch. OMG What do I do now?????????

It is back to the old school. Lets run for the fun of it. Having to pace yourself on how your body feels and not having to have a watch tell you how to run. I was now thinking do I go out and run a steady pace, do I try and keep up with the fast pacers or do I find someone with a spare watch. Amy told me she had a spare Ironman that I could borrow but it was pink. I thought about it and said No thanks.

Kenny was running his first ever race today and signed up for the 12K also. He was going to run a 1/2 ratio because his wife runs a 2/1 and they normally meet up together. I asked him if I could join him so that I could have a watch to try and figure out my pace. He said OK and we were off. Running a 9 min mile and walking keep us in a 11 min pace overall. I liked it because I am trying to keep an 11 min mile at Snickers to possibly PR.

We kept the same pace through out the course. When we got near the finish I told Kenny that normally I like to not listen to the last walk break and finish it running in. He said go ahead and I see ya at the finish line. I got on top of the hill of the last leg and turned the corner to see Andrew MM#801 to great me. He ran in and I asked him if he wanted to sprint it in with me. I think he said no cause he is going to Alabama tomorrow for a marathon and did not want to get hurt. I finished up with a time of 1:21:15 which is now a new PR for a 12K. Kenny finished about 40 sec behind me.

Kenny, you did an awesome run today and I am proud of ya boy. Keep it up and you will be in Boston before ya know it.

I just got finished with my reservation and paperwork to send in for Snickers marathon and now it is off to bed to maybe get up tomorrow and go for a nice stroll.

1 comment:

leora's blog said...

you da man Tim! you da man!