Sunday, December 28, 2008

Getting ready for Disney

"Some runners judge performance by whether they won or lost. Others define success or failure by how fast they ran. Only you can judge your performance. Avoid letting others sit in judgment of you." HAL HIGDON



This is truly words to live on. On my last couple of runs, I have pondered this quote and it has finally hit home with me.

Friday night I went running with Steve and we talked about a lot of different things. We discussed running tactics, work problems and overall life discussions. One of the things that was brought up was the issue of speed or not. We ran 6.5 miles tonight before calling it quits and showing Steve on of favorite eating places and getting some chicken pad thai. I think he is hooked now.


Saturday I ran with Steph as we prepared for our last big run in prep for Disney marathon. We had talked about going 20 so that I would have 26.2 in 2 days. Well we got in 15 before calling it a day. We talked about everything dealing with Disney cause Steph ran the half last year. We both agreed that the humidity was up and there was no reason to stay out and possible injuring ourselves. We agreed to walk back to the track on base and wait for Kenny to bring us some much needed Subway for lunch. Kenny drove around in front of us the whole time handing us water and pretzels if needed. If that is not the coolest thing I don't know what is. Tommy was out running some 18 miles with Carol riding in front of him also helping him out.


During both runs, it was brought up about speed. Looking back at the quote above, I think it sums it up the most. Judge yourself on your own improvements/faults and not on someone else. You are the only person who truely knows how you rank!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

So true wise sensai...so true.

(don't tell Melissa I called you a sensai, okay?)

Stefanie said...

Thanks for the words of wisdom and super thanks for running on Saturday! I really appreciate it. 12 days until the Mouse.