Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day run

It is now a tradition that the local runners meet downtown at the Wright's house and have a new years day run which is anywhere from 3 to whatever distance you want to go. Afterwards we meet back at the house and fellowship with a wonderful variety of foods including hot pancakes.


This year I think we had about 20-25 runners go out and run through the brisk air. Steve and I took off for a short adventure this morning and as we got down to the river walk, we joined up with Amy, Brian (Big brother B) and Downtown D. We treked our way along the river walk and then through Central City park until it was time to head back for some grub.


I was the only returning veteran of this group so it was very nice to know that I had more friends and running partners to join me this morning. They say what you do on New Years day is what you will be doing all year so it was nice to be running with new friends.


When we returned back to the house after completing almost 5 miles, we saw one of the local TV stations was on scene to capture the moment. We picked Sam to be the spokesperson to talk on camera about the goals of runners for this year and what we were doing out there this morning. He did a great job even when she asked him to run up and down the street while she got him on camera.


This years breakfast was filled with some sorrow because one of our long time runners who normally would take every one's picture had died this past year. It seems to be like a family reunion when you don't know if everyone will be back next year.


Well it was off to some great food, stories and fellowship with other friends and runners while we sat down and got our bellies full. There was so much food and drinks available this morning. It was almost like being at a church social.


Well it is now time to set our New Years resolutions and I will say that my number one goal is to make sure that my family life comes first. I have been so blessed with my family standing behind me 100 percent and now I will do the same for them.


Until then, see ya on the streets.

No comments: