Monday, January 5, 2009

Last week preps

As I am sitting here at work I am trying to figure out just exactly what I need to figure out before this weekend. I have my hotel taken care of, the race registration is finished and I know where we are going to eat our pre-race meal.

Weather??? What to wear? I think I will wear my Run-Fit track shirt due to the warm weather near the finish time. I don't mind the cool temps in the start but I will not do good if I get too hot. I will see about some throw away gloves and a trash bag to cover up with that morning if it is cold. These are things that can be thrown away at the start and I will not be out anything important.

Location??? I am looking to see where I am staying in regards to where the Expo is at and where the start/finish line is at. I don't want to have to keep looking at a map while I am done there. I think I get allot of this from my wife who likes to be very prepared for whatever comes our way.

Gel/Food??? I think I am going to make some potatoes before I go and coat them with salt. I am going to give them to Mandie and hopefully around mile 10 or 11 I will see her and get them. I had the same thing in my ultra-marathon and it really helped me to finish. I heard it was a great source of energy for long runs and I really believe it now. I will probably take some gels with me during the run cause I don't know what gels they will have during the race.

Time??? My real goal for my next marathon is to 1.Finish 2.New PR of less than 5:08 3.Sub 5 4. Time of 4:45 I hope to follow these time factors for my next 2 marathons and it would be awesome if I could do all 4 at Disney. If this happens, I will not be able to live with myself.

Right now, I am just looking over and over at the Disney web site and trying to calculate everything in my mind as if I were going to have a pop quiz about anything in the park. I really need to take a Valium right now due to the nerves are really starting to kick in. I hope all my family and friends forgive me if I act stupid during this week because I get this way before any big race. I told Mandie if I ever get to a point where I don't nervous before a race that is the day when I need to stop running.

I think I will go out for a leisurely 3 miles tonight just to work off some butterflies and think more about what i need to do to get final preps out of the way.

Until then, see ya later.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

If you have any questions about the area or the race, just ask. I dont mind!

Did you look at mile 20 on the map (or rather maybe I need to be asking Amy that)? There are several aid stations on that area that she could stand near in order to meet you.

Amy said...

I may be psycho but I'm really thinking about just picking up with Tim around mile 10 or 11 and finish with him rather than try and navigate my way thru the park. It's still just the thought I had this morning. Actually, for a brief second this morning I even contemplated doing the whole thing...but then I woke up :)

Stefanie said...

Waking up can be important LOL


Mile 10-11 could be a lot easier.

The other option would be to miss him at the castle and instead pick up at the midway point. You could do that if you got off at the ticket and transpotation center (Which is mile marker 9)and walked the course backwards for 3/4 of a mile until it reachs the part of the course that runs parallel. (Remind me about this and I can show it to you at Saturdays DInner)