Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mile repeats

Well last night was going to be my first test of discipline. I was suppose to go to the track and do 3 one mile repeats. My RC is trying pinpoint exactly where my times should be at. In order to get the exact number for the Daniel's schedule you need to have a recent 5K time and I don't have one. So the coach asked me to go to the track and run 3 splits and pick up the pace each time and see what I can do them without killing myself.

Mile 1 : 9:54 pace with 14 seconds variance throughout the splits

Mile 2 : 9:21 pace with 15 seconds variance throughout the splits

Mile 3 8:55 pace with 11 seconds variance throughout the splits

The last lap actually felt good and it was funny because one of my friends from the track club showed up to run his workouts and started running with me. At that point I actually felt like I was FAST. I mean I felt like I was one of the group. I know that I am no where near the speed of the tracksters in the group but it was nice for one short moment to fell that way.

Then when I went for my cool down laps, I was suppose to run 1 mile at a pace around 12 min/mile so that the lactic acid would not build up in my muscles. I took off for some EASY laps and I had to control myself and slow down. I looked at my watch and it was telling me that I was at a pace of 10:58/mile.

Then the same guy came up to me and asked if I would run the 1200m repeats with him tonight. I thought WHAT ME. Is he asking this because he can't keep up with everyone else and I am the slowest person out here. Is it because he does not want to be last in the group or could it be cause he saw me running faster and he wanted someone to pace him. Then I told him that I was finished for my workout and I was going home to get out of the cold weather.

As I was walking to my truck, for a slight moment I was on cloud 9 because I was able to tell a trackster ( someone who is way faster that me ) that I could not run with him tonight. It might not mean alot to some people but it meant alot to this big ol boy.

Have a wonderful day and lets get ready for a wonderful weekend while enjoying this hump day.

No comments: