Sunday, August 23, 2009

Open water swim

Today I went to Lake Juliette for my first open water swim. I have not been able to swim for a week and a half since I had my eye surgery. I met Kenny, Stef and Sam at the Lake and Mandie and Austin went with me this time. We had stopped by McDonald's on the way so that I could have a little food in my system for the swim. I did not want to be in the water and start thinking about food instead of swimming. So I kept it light with a small cheeseburger and fries. I have read about drinking carbonated drinks is a no no before swimming so I got an unsweet tea.


Well, by now my nerves are going crazy. Here is the water and I have to swim how far. Last week it did not look that far. I guess that was because I was not doing it at the time. I told Kenny and Sam to go ahead and I would go in a few minutes. I did not feel comfortable about the long swim. I told Stef that I was going to try and stay near the shore line in case I get tired. So off I went and it was not pretty. I was trying all the strokes I could possibly think of and it was killing me. I made it about 100M before I had to take a break on the shore. By this time my arms were starting to get sore. I thought it was going to be easier than want I was making of it. I was wrong. I was not happy with myself. I told Stef that I wasted enough time and it was time to try and go back. So off we went. OMG did someone move the shore. I really need some more time in the pool for training.

We got back and I took a break. My arms were killing me. I was so ready to get out of the water and go riding or running. There are some buoys in the water to tell people about boats need to watch for people and they are in a triangle layout/ It looks like a small TRI set-up. So after a little rest, we swam around them to practice working on sighting and turning. It was fun to see what it is like during the race. I was somewhat mad and embarrassed about not being able to swim the entire distance tonight but my wife reminded me that I did not run marathons overnight. I really hate it when she is right. I now have about 3 and a half weeks to get ready so it is going to be a busy month.

I am going to try and go the pool in the morning before work and work on my stroke. I hope to get over the open water phobia soon so that I can get ready. Until then, it is time to for me to wake up Sponge Bob.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

You did great yesterday. Just continue to work on your swimming and it will go well. I can build your confidence!

leora's blog said...

once you find your groove you'll wonder why it was ever hard! Keep at it ole pal