Saturday, June 6, 2009

Race recap

This morning was my first 10K in a long time and now I know why. I had gotten in a pace lock and all that is my mind was to run and finish marathons. Well things have changed. I am working on getting stronger and faster with the knowledge and help of RC.

Last night we threw a surprise party for with wife's Aunt and Uncle for their 25th anniversary. It was a long night while getting to sleep at midnight and getting up a 5 this morning to get ready and drive. I did not eat good last, typical party food but at least I did not drink anything but water. I knew it was going to be hot today.

I woke up this morning with an terrible upset stomach that lasted up until about 15 minutes before the race. I was in and out of the porta-potty.

My son went with me this morning which made it good. I like to see him when I cross the finish line and Austin and Mandie are their in support and spirit for me.

I went out to fast. STUPID. I am part of Team POD and I know better. I should have gone out about 45 seconds slower on my first and second mile so that I would not crash later. RC tried to pull me in at the last 1/2 mile point but I think I let him down. I tried to push up the final hill to the last turn to the finish line but I was hot with stomach cramps. I know he was upset and he wanted to say something but being such a great coach he just kept encouraging me to push on and turn on the turbo.

And most of all, my **** radio failed this morning when I went to turn it on. I use to not listen to it while running but lately I like it. It keeps me company and helps me to push through some hard areas. Race morning is not the time nor the place to try something new. I had to run with no music. Thanks to Caryl for offering to share one of her earphones so that I could hear so music.


I could go on with excuses but the number one and main one is that I NEED MORE HILL WORK. I will admit to it. Most of my running schedule and placement has been around flats and small rolling hills. Not mountains like I ran this morning. That is going to change. I do believe RC will have something to do with that also.

I had a great time after the race at the local Dairy Festival. Mayfield was a sponsor with free ice cream and chocolate milk. I love milk after a hard run. It is a great way to replenish lost carbs. We then went and sat on the curb and watched a long parade with tractors, old cars and people marching. I can look back and say I had a bad run but I think it was about 20 seconds faster than the same run from last year. I am always trying to find something good in everything.

Have a great week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only thing you are wrong on is thinking I was upset. I was proud to see you fighting your way up that last hill. You gave all you had, and that's all anyone can do on race day. Good job Turbo-Tim. The hills kikced butt that day, but we'll be back to fight another day.

Wax On - Wax Off
RC
Team POD

Hua said...

Hi Tim,

At least you are improving your time. I'm sure by next year, you will have plenty of training to take on that hill more easily next time.

I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua