Sunday, January 24, 2010

Last long run with the Macon Galloway group

Yesterday was a great day. It was the last long run before getting ready for the 26.2 with Donna Marathon on Feb 21. It was suppose to get into the low 60's but never got over 45 degrees. There was about 16 or so that braved the temps to go out and attempt 25 miles today. This was going to be a long painful and mental run cause the group had never been that far before. I was lucky to be able to run with them and remember how I felt on my long run before my first marathon.

There were 2 groups that treked off onto 2 different paths to log in their miles. We took an easier route, well we thought it was going to be flat and easy. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the run, we had 2 people that had encountered some minor injuries that played it smart and went back to the vehicles before something bad happened. They rest of us went along and finished our plan. I know that my normal runs would have been a little faster than what went but I was able to share some stories of my past marathons. We talked about what to pack, when to double check to make sure you have everything and what to do the last couple of days before the big day.

I was glad to have been around a special group of runners. I have run with others before, but being around this group made me remember why I got into running. Going out running and then going and have a great fellowship afterwards. It is not about PR's ( which are nice when you get them but not everyday ) but it is about being able to go out and finish something you put your heart into. That is what running to me is all about.

So now it is about 3 weeks to go before the big race and my body is in taper mode. Back to back weekends of 26.2 and 25 miles is playing a toll on me today. I am sore and my hips are hurting. I will probably get into the pool this week so that I can have some low impact workouts. Until then, have a wonderful week.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Great job! Enjoy the taper : )