Monday, September 21, 2009

Vidalia Onion Sprint TRI race recap

On an early morning of Saturday 19th, I was awake by 4:00 a.m. I slept with my watch on so I could keep up with the time. I could not sleep worth a hoot because of my nerves. I had alot of things going through my mind. Did I remember to bring everything, do I have the right drinks, do I have the right gels and food? My stomach was now in knots. I was about to loose everything I had from the night before. But I had to be strong and just suck it up and go on with my race day practices.

We were dressed and ready to go downstairs and eat. I had a 1/2 bowl of cereal before throwing it in the trash. Then I got a cup getting ready to pour some coffee and Kenny said "Tim, you are going to drink coffee before the race?" Then I thought I did not know what I doing. So I got some juice and a banana with some pop tarts. Now I really wanted to puke. Kenny's parents were sitting with us telling us that they were nervous for him. I was glad I was in the same company with bad nerves.

Well by now we were loaded up and ready to head out to the race. It was a dark and humid morning. I was hoping the rain would hold off for us and thankfully it did. We got the race site around 6:00 a.m. and I had to put on my head lamp so I could see everything. Off to the packet pickup tent for my goodies. I received my packet and I had to change it from Clydesdale to Novice. The director asked me if I really wanted to change due to the low number of us big folks. She told me that I would have a better chance of placing. I quickly told her that I did not care about placing but I just wanted to survive.

Now it was off to body marking. That was so cool. I have always wanted my numbers put on me. I actually stopped and thought, I am going to actually do this. It is now or never. I went back to get my bike and checked my tire pressure. A little bit of air in the tires and now heading to the transition area. Mandie was wanting to be so helpful and carry things for me but I refused to let her help. I wanted to do everything on my own. I entered into the transition area and only athletes could enter. I thought that was cool. I found out where my rack was at and started to place my transition area out on the ground. It was still a little damp out so I started with my towel. Next it was my running shoes with my bib number under them. Then I put my bike shoes down with my socks in them. I put my helmet down with the straps over the sides and my sunglasses inside it. I had some bottles with water and gatoraide. The water was for cleaning my feet before putting the socks on. I was now ready.

Now it was time to walk around and listen to everyone. Note, I was listening and not talking. I was very nervous. I wanted to cry and puke at the same time. Nerves were flying. Thanks to everyone for trying to make me feel better. The gun went off and the first wave was off. OMG it is now to late to turn around. 2nd wave in, 3rd wave in, 4th wave in and now it is time for us novice peps. Now my heart rate is somewhere over 2,000.

In the water and we are off and racing. Instantly my right foot is cramping up. I am swimming freestyle up to the 50M mark. I was hitting someones foot and kicking someones hand. Then I heard someone flying up beside me. He had a late start. I got out to the 100M mark and noticed the swimmer beside me is now panicking. I did not know what to do. I am not trained in water rescue. The boat looked far away. So I continued on and for a moment it looked like he was getting back on track. Later I found out they had to help him out of the water. I started thinking this could be me. I have to continue strong. Continue on, go forward and just go at a smart pace. I started to swim on my side and I was drifting off so the I started to swim doggie paddle. It might have been slow but it worked.

I MADE IT THROUGH!!!!!!!!

I was now out of the water and heading to T1.

14:17.9 Time 227 Place 2:04 Transition


Now I am on the bike and loving life. I made it through the hardest thing in my life. I was out on the bike course and around mile 1 I started to see some of my friends. They were cheering for me and screaming "You're on the bike!!!!!!" I was smiling from ear to ear. I can now relax and have fun. I was cheering everyone I passed and encouraged everyone to do good and have fun. When I got about a 1/2 mile out, I decided to take my feet out of my shoes and place them on top of my shoes and pedal in. A biker came around me and said to me "Dude, that is so cool. I wish I would have thought of that". Thanks to YouTube for showing me how to do it. I came in from the bike and ran into T2.

42:01.0 Time 127 Place 48 sec Transition

Now it is time to go out on the run. I heard them announce that Tom Adrian had just finished and I thought I can wait until I hear my name. I headed out with my race number bib on. My legs were starting to cramp up. I was in pain but I was going to run out through the crowd. I wanted to look like a champion. The run started out going straight uphill. It was an out and back then another out and back to the finish. I caught up with Samantha and we ran together. It was cool running with her knowing we were going to become triathletes together. Gen finished up and came back to get us. It was the 3 of us for the last mile. I could not remember everything going through my mind at the this point. We reached the top of the hill and I told Sam to go ahead because she deserved to finish first. She then told me no and lets finish together. I agreed and told her lets go cause it is downhill from here.

THE FINISH LINE IS NEAR AND I CAN SEE SOME OF MY FRIENDS LINING THE COURSE AND GIVING ME HIGH FIVES. THIS IS AWESOME. I FINISHED.


I am now a triathlete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I would like to say a big thank you to all that helped me get through this huge battle: Kenny, Stefanie, Sam, Gen, Joe, Dorene, Jason, Steve, Sam, Tom, Sarah and to all who have said those little prayers after reading my blog.

Most of all I have to give a huge and special thank you to a wonderful and caring person who has put up with a lot of crazy days and nights while I have been training. She has helped me with my coaching while walking up and down the shores while I tried to swim. She has taken the pictures for me so I know I will have lasting memories after the race. But most of all for being the best mother and wife she could be, Mandie. I love you very much.

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

You were fabulous. By far the best first time triathlete of the race! Kenny and I are both very proud of all that you have accomplished and can't wait to race another one with you... because we know that there are more in your future.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the race! I know it takes a lot to commit to something so big, and then follow through and make it happen. That's a winner in my book!

Kat said...

Great write up on the Tri! Very inspiring... I can't wait to be able to say I've completed my first Tri! I will be patient though! Congrats on your efforts.

Gen =) said...

I knew you could do it and I'm so proud of you! Having been in your shoes, albeit a lot smaller, I knew what you were going through, but also saw the determination. Crazy Joe says that he's "pretty damn proud of you too!"