Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Only time will tell

Last night was a great night at the track meet. My buddy Steve came out and was running on his new schedule that RC has made out for him. He is still in the early stages and I ran with him trying to tell him that if he keeps to the plan at least 90% of the time that he will see major improvements. I know that I have seen them.

I went last night for my new easy run with some 30 seconds sprints and I set my watch to show only my HR and the time. My HR goal is to keep it between 145 - 150 and my running time is 30 - 35 minutes. This was strange to me because I have always looked at my pace to see how I was running. I had no idea that I was running too slow.

YES, I SAID IT, I WAS RUNNING TOO SLOW !!!!!!!!!!

That is so funny to say that and not laugh at myself. I have seen so much improvement in just the first month of my new training log. It is just amazing to know that I have been missing out on so much these last 3 years. I can only imagine where I would be right now if I would have had RC with me when I started running. WOW.

I set off last night to start off slow with my HR in the 130's and build it up. It did not take me long before I was getting faster. It was hot and humid. I was able to run 4 sprints about 9 minutes apart for a 100 meters while I was running my 30 minutes. RC told me to keep them about 30 seconds long and try to start making them longer along with my base time on my easy and long runs. I am going to now start alternating nights between an easy run with a marathon pace and hopefully not crash and burn.

When I got through and looked at my pace of 10:03 with an average HR of 147, RC told me that I hit it on the nose. That was so cool to hear especially for not watching my pace. I looked on my VDOT scale and that pace was right behind the marathon pace of 9:42. Did I mention that this training thing is really paying off????????

Before I left RC told me something that just floored me and I could not help but to laugh and wonder. He told me that if I keep up this pace that when the fall roles around and probably be then I will have shed about 15 more pounds, that I should be in the 25 minute range in my 5K's.

I tried not to laugh at him but I just could not help it. RC I am so sorry but I really never thought of myself in the category of a sub 26 er. Deep down inside I have always wanted to look up and see something like that on the finish line but never thought I would be this close to it.

MY DREAMS ARE STARTING TO BECOME REALITY

So this goes out to anyone that does not believe in consistency and training, you are wrong. If you can dream it, you can do it.


TEAM P. O. D. ( pain of discipline )

2 comments:

Ursula Holleman said...

the blog posts are very informative. thank you. also i'm curious where you found your running/race log that appears on the right side of your blog.

Marcus Parker said...

What does "RC" stand for?

After reading your comments, I feel as though there may be help for me.