Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back home from Texas

My family went to Texas this last weekend for a wonderful family reunion. We flew into San Antonio and got a rental van for the 3 of us and my brother's family. Then we drove to our motel in Kerrville which is about 55 miles NW. Then we unloaded the van and headed off to my grand fathers house in Hunt. But before we went we had to get some late lunch so we decided to eat a Jack In The Box. It was good. I have never been there. They always say When in Rome, do like the Romans.

We arrived at my grandfathers house to surprise him. He had no idea that we were going to be there. I met alot of family members that I have never seen before. They were from California, Oklahoma, Texas and Georgia. It was great to sit down with my camcorder and interview my grandfather and discuss his career in the Air Force during WWII. He was MIA when he had to bail out of his B-17 after it was shot down. He told me of his career with NASA and working with Boeing. My step grandmother is retired from the Navy intelligence.

I got in a short 30 minute run which was great to be able to say I have actually laced up my shoes and ran in Texas, but nothing will compare to the excitement I had while talking with my family.

1 comment:

Greg Friese said...

Tim

I am also a paramedic and marathon runner. A few weeks ago I transported a man that flew 35 missions in a B-17 in WW2. We had about 40 minutes together and he had amazing stories of riding in the nose cone and sighting in targets over Germany. I am guessing your grandfather had similar stories.

Keep running. Speed comes with time and effort. I am faster now than I was in highschool 20 years ago. I am aiming for a PR at the Green Bay half marathon this weekend.