Friday, February 12, 2010

Is running for fun or is it WORK........

It was not long ago when I felt like I had hit a wall. I was on a runner's high and thought everything was going great. Boy, was I wrong. I then had gotten to a point when I just did not want to put my shoes on and to hear about running made me want to throw up. So what did I do to get out of my slump..........
...
...
...
...
...

GET ON THE BIKE AND SWIM


Yes, I found out when I was running so much and pushing myself to try and get faster and lose more weight, I found myself burning myself out. I was to a point where I did not know if running was for fun or was it work.. I had schedules put out for me and I did not have to think about what to run. It was laid out for me everyday. Where to run, what pace to run, how far should I run, Tempo or Easy long run?????? That is when it hit me that I got into running to help myself physically and not to go crazy.

Since I have joined up with the Galloway group, it has given me a chance to run with different people who are among very different goals and outlooks. This has been great because it reminded me why I did my first marathon and how I felt. It has brought back so many memories that I forgot I had lost.

When I thought I had done everything I could possibly physically do, I did a Tri. I never thought I could do something like that. I always said that was for the totally fit atheletes and not for me. Well, I was wrong. I found out you can do anything you put your mind to it and get someone to help you where you might think you have some not so strong points.

What I am trying to get at is when you think that running is just for going out and training like WORK, try something different. I found that when I trained for the TRI, it was nice because my mind and body was always thinking about what I was going to do next. My body was always in check because it was getting changed everyday.

This kept me from going stir crazy. It helped me get out of my rut. If you think you cant do a TRI, well, try and find something else. Maybe you just need to volunteer and help someone else. You will find yourself coming back stronger and better.

I just hope this post will help at least 1 person out there. If so, this blog is totally worth it. Thank you and have a wonderful day in the snow.......

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

You are getting so close to the goal!!! I am proud of yo and know that you will do well at 26.2 with Donna.

Can't wait to start training for Augusta!