Sunday, November 23, 2008

Taking the weekend off


Sometimes we just need a break. I have been thinking so much about my upcoming races that I have signed up for: Bartram 50K, Disney marathon and Aviation WRAFB marathon. Well this weekend it finally hit me that I need a mental break. I have neglected my family in the sense that I have made running my priority and that is just not right. So that is why I am taking this weekend off to sit back and look at things that I have not seen in a while.
I just got through reading Amy's blog ( my running partner ) and she is very upset right now. She went out running with some friends that are not running the same speed that she is used to, alot slower than she runs. She said that she is feeling so legs pains right now and not wanting to run any more marathons ever again. I am sorry to hear this.
I felt the same kind of pains when I used to run with some other runners that did not run the same pace I did at the time. I don't know how I got over this but I was able to overcome the pain. I feel now that no matter what pace I am out there running, sprinting or just shuffling along that I always remember that I am getting exercise and I don't think "Am I running too fast or too slow right now" and that is when I tell myself "You just need to tell the person beside you Thank You for helping me to get out there today and just run". For some reason this just works for me and I am able to overcome any twinges or pains that might pop up.
My wife had a death in her family this week and we are dealing with the whole funeral thing this weekend so that is another reason why I am not out there pounding the pavement. I will start back tomorrow with a good 5 or 6 miler any some pace but at least I will be out there. As far as Bartram goes, I will go to run the 50K at my pace hoping for a 5:1 run?walk ratio but no matter what it is, I plan on finishing the run with a smile knowing I can look at someone that day and say "Thank you for helping me out today".
Then I will be off to my next run with the intentions of possible helping someone else. Have a bless week my friends.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I guess I'm a poor writer...the pains weren't caused by running too slow, they were caused by running too many stair repeats at fit camp...Rick thinks that maybe the constant turn of another flight of stairs pulled my tibial collateral ligament. I was just saying that it couldn't have been running related because I was running at a slow, but enjoyable, pace. Again, guess I wasn't clear.

At any rate, I'm just really really frustrated with it all and I just want Disney to get here so I can get it over with. My biggest frustration and fear is that I'm not going to be really ready to run it but I'll do it anyway and do more damage. So, I have alot of thinking to do between now and then. I've run 13 miles twice since March so I fear that I am running out of time to get my legs ready. I'm just so confused and I just want to go back to running for my health and not for any stupid goals. And that is why I said no more marathons.

Hope that makes more sense and thanks for helping me today, and all the other days that you make me get back out there.