Saturday, August 14, 2010

1/2 way through training

We are now half way through our training for Chickamauga. We are going to be running a 17 miler next weekend. This weekend was 6 - 1 mile repeats. Well some of us went to the Jim Herring 10K in Centerville. It was Micheal, Eddie, Shaun, Karen, Nicole and myself. We set out to run ratios of 2 minute runs with only 30 second walk breaks at a pace around 10 minutes overall.

Well, we went out as a training run to see how it was going to feel. It was hot and humid. We went out too fast and started to fall off at the end. I looked at my watch and we had positive splits which is not good. The last mile was brutal. I am so glad to be able to rest now.

Congratulations to Karen for placing 1st in her age group and Nicole for placing 3rd in her age group in her 1st 10K road race. I am very proud to be able to run with great athletes.

This race was very special to me because of Zack Pruitt. Zack passed away this year from a brain tumor but was one of my running friends that would run this course with me. This year was the 1st year without him. I was pushing myself through the course and I know that he was looking over me.

Along with a great race, I am now 6 weeks into our weight loss challenge. I feel into 2nd place this week by .01% pounds lost. I am down 8 pounds. I know that it does not seem like a lot. I am trying to go slowly so that it stays off. I am hoping that I can get down about 20-25 by the end of the year. Then I should be able to finally break the dreaded 5 hour marathon.

Well for now, I am going to sit here with my feet up. I am still having some pain in my left foot but with the help from my Strasbourg sock it helps. I would like to have a big shout out to my friend Matt Jenkins, an ultra marathoner in N.C., who finished her journey yesterday. Matt ran 760 miles across N.C. to help raise awareness and money for the non-profit organization he works for. Their budget was cut by nearly $200,000.00 and he was trying to help raise money to replace it. To help go to www.westernyouthnetwork.org

Thank you and have a wonderful week.

No comments: