Saturday, September 10, 2011

22 mile training run

I just woke up from a great nap. This morning we went out for our 22 mile training run. The weather was nice at 58 degrees with no wind. It was a little on the cool side and it felt wonderful. We have 2 new runners in our group that have never competed in a marathon so today was going to be another milestone for them.

We started our journey at 5 a.m. which is a little later than normal. Since the weather has cooled off, we are no pressured into starting earlier. We went out into our journey of the black and clear sky. The stars were out with a full moon so it made it easier to see. We had a chance to talk as a group about questions about the race. Now with the cooler weather, what clothes should they wear? After about 3 or 4 miles, we were warmed up and I had a chance to explain to them about wearing light layers of clothes. As you warm up, you can have throw away clothes and just shed them off.

We were all feeling great until around mile 18. Then I started having problems with my knee just going numb. I have never had this before. I would be running and all of a sudden, my knee down to my foot would just go numb. It was scary. I dont need any new problems this close to the marathon.

We decided then just to take it easy and slow down the pace with more frequent walk breaks. I will not lie. I just wanted to be through. When it was over, I looked at my body and realized that I had poured out a lot of salt today. This was new for me too. Normally I only do that in a HOT race and not on a training run.

For now as I sit back and look over today's notes, I have my calf sleeves on and waiting for some good college football games.

Have a wonderful weekend and keep up the good work.

1 comment:

become a paramedic said...

I think it's a good exercise. Sometimes we just have to go miles sometimes see if how far our body can achieve.