Sunday, September 12, 2010

A first for first

This weekend we did our 20 mile training run with a time of 4:13 on average of 12:37 pace. We were way faster than what our time pace should have been at. I am so looking forward to Chickamauga. I am shooting for my time goal but if it is not reached, I will be happy for those who finish with smiles and memories in their mind and heart.

For a lot of the runners, this was the fist time that they have ever finished 20 miles. Boy were they happy. Sore yes, but more happy than anything. They were a lot of emotions shed along the way but nothing but smiles at the end with the choclate milk. I am so proud of everyone that came out and ran this weekend. I am especially proud of Micheal who ran the 20 miles after his group quit after only 10 miles. It takes a lot of inner strength to keep going when others quit.

While we were running we discussed about what we would do on our last long run. We are suppose to do 23 but it is on the day of the Jay's Hope race. I had decided that I would start around 3:30 a.m. and continue to run until around 8:15 so that I could make it to the race. I told the group that they could still start at 5 and they said we run as a group and they would join me at 3:30 and they go to the race. I am so honored to have such a wonderful group. I told them that if I had to walk the race it still meant a lot to me. My friend Zack Pruitt died at the age of 14 with brain cancer. I am going to run in his honor and so is his family. His father was my running partner in our first half marathon. It is true that running friends are sometimes stronger than your own family. Thanks guys and girls.

I rested up today with a terrible headache from running 20 miles and then going roller blading at a birthday party. Have a great week and keep up and down with the feet.

No comments: