Saturday, April 24, 2010

I never thought it would happen to me

As I started out on this journey to run 6 marathons in 6 months, I never thought it would come down to having to run a 10 min mile in a complete marathon. I usually run a marathon to finish and have fun but today we had to race the weather. Guess what, the weather won.

As we hit mile 12, one of the race officials stepped out in the crowd and announced that they were shutting down the course. We were told to finish the half course and proceed to get our finishers medal of the marathon course.

Melissa and I were on track for about a 5:30 pace today and feeling great. The course had some great hills and downhills. We were rocking with the bands and ready to do the complete race. I was so disappointed to see them cut it short. When we finished and got our medals, the bottom started to fall out with rain and lightening. We are now under a tornado watch.

Well I am turning in and will report more later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much to say about how bad of a decision that was. Safety didn't seem to be an issue when we got to the finish.

Runners were not treated very well. That's what it boils down to. There's too many people, and the race organizers just don't really care about them. They care about covering their asses though.